Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Unit 14: Developing and creating website:

I have handed in my first draft of "[AO4]: An evaluation of commercial websites that have been downloaded" and now I have to wait for some feedback and suggestions for improvements for this task from the teacher. For this task, I had to research into two different commercial websites and identify the types of Flash and JavaScript features they use, also get inspiration for the designs of my client’s band website. The websites that I analysed were iRiver website, which sold mp3 players and a band website, which was called TVXQ. After analysing the websites I have found a number of aspects that I would like to improve in the designs, such as the sliding out navigation buttons, the rollovers that changed colours when the mouse hovers across them, a slideshow of images, and a music player with the “Play” and “Stop” buttons for the users to use. These features I would need to research more in depth to find out how to create these features and whether or not they can be made easily.

For the "[AO4]: An evaluation of commercial websites that have been downloaded" task, I have been given the final deadline for this, which will be 1st November 2006; where I am hoping to receive the feedback on the 11th October.

I started to look and experiment with Macromedia Dreamweaver; where I have discovered that I can make templates of web pages as well as have CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) for the web pages. Dreamweaver templates assist web designers with creating and applying a consistent page design and layout throughout the whole website.


A Dreamweaver template is a document that I can use as the foundation for all the other web pages on the website; where a template allows me to define overall site page layout and the elements that will consistently appear on each of the web pages on the site; this can include the logos, navigation bar, placeholders for page titles and the regions defined for the content. There are two aspects on a Dreamweaver template that I would need to take into account, these are:

  • Editable regions- there will be certain elements that will be defined as editable regions; this means that I will be able to change this element on each of the web pages, i.e. the changing of the banner.
  • Uneditable regions- there will be also some elements that will be defined as Uneditable regions, where on the template these elements will be kept the same on all the web pages of my website. These are the elements that, when modified in the original template, it will then globally be updated throughout the rest of the other pages in my website that I have created the template on.
Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is a style sheet language that is used to define colours, fonts and layout and any other aspects of the document presentation; it is most common used to style web pages written in HTML or XHTML.

I have also been using the Internet to search for Macromedia Dreamweaver tutorials, as this is my first time in using this program; therefore I do not have any knowledge with how the program works. I will be using the latest version of Macromedia Dreamweaver, which is Macromedia Dreamweaver 8. I have looked at this Macromedia Dreamweaver tutorial on the web, which my teacher has provided, where on the website, it supplies basic tutorial videos on how to start up a new website; i.e. creating a root folder for all the contents of the website to use, creating a domain for the website to upload to.

The link that the teacher has provided for the Macromedia Dreamweaver video tutorials is:
http://www.vtc.com/products/dw8.htm. This website only provides video tutorials on the basic needs to start up a site and an introduction on Macromedia Dreamweaver; I only have access to the basic tutorials because I need to purchase the rest of the Dreamweaver tutorials such as converting layouts into tables in order to view all the other video tutorials they have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home